Gillingham Forum - Scally’s in depth thoughts on sport science
Vital Football

Latest Gillingham FC News

Gillingham Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
No poll
Suggested By:
True75%
False!25%
Write for Vital Football
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Wayne.Kerr118
2.madrid_gill114
3.jokerman100
4.LancsGordoRoad82
5.LSB280
6.Razorpound70
7.Baghdad_Rob67
8.Buddha65
9.nibbles63
10.chris who62
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2): 1
Scally’s in depth thoughts on sport science
08 February 2018 16:42 Post ID: #77442 - in reply to #77438
Place on the board
Your vision and that of Waldo may not be so very far apart captain and that's what worries me. If Scally ever finds his investors then his focus changes and so do his priorities. The model Waldo presents may well provide a shiny, new stadium but it will not be ours. Check out what is going on at Cardiff, behind with the rent and looking at playing elsewhere next season, Coventry anybody. Small clubs like ours have one serious asset, the ground and you let it go at your peril. It is the only collateral for loans, which otherwise come with ruinous rates.

New grounds so often offer an opportunity to bury the bodies and leave with a pay off. Scally is no different from any other chairman; once he decides to go his own interest come first, second and last.

Edited by jogills 8/2/2018 16:43
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
08 February 2018 17:02 Post ID: #77444 - in reply to #77369
Place on the board
I'm guessing we've spent a lot so far.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2018 17:18 Post ID: #77445 - in reply to #77369
In the stands
Planning consultants don't come cheap Trev..the amount of reports required for an application of that size on trees, ecology, transport etc, if he's doing it properly it is going to be a big sum.

You only need to look at the wealth of most of the owners in the Championship to see that it's a totally different set-up to when we were last there, it's a massive league now with most of the owners wealth in the billions rather than the millions. If you don't have the right backing you won't last long..
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2018 18:09 Post ID: #77448 - in reply to #77369
Club captain
Scally wont commit to anything that puts the stability of the club at risk.

The whole economy is unstable at the moment with no one knowing what will happen worldwide or Brexit.

Agree with the level of money in the Championship but its the same our our league with Blackburn, Wigan and Sheffield all rich clubs compared with us and it looks like Sunderland will be dropping into our league next season - money does not breed success.

Much rather have stability than a risk we may not survive.
Like post
Like this post
09 February 2018 14:04 Post ID: #77540 - in reply to #77369
In the stands
Wow! That's the first time I've ever seen the words "Scally" and "in-depth thoughts" in the same sentence!
Like post
Like this post
09 February 2018 19:01 Post ID: #77563 - in reply to #77369
Statue outside the ground
I think Waldo nailed it with the journalist has stitched together a few comments to make this story.

At least I hope so. Otherwise the comment "One minute they were quite close, they would have been good partners, then I got a call saying they had a meeting, they saw our position and didn’t want to have a League 2 side.They haven’t been back in touch since and I wonder what they are thinking now when they look at the table" is a bit worrying.

If Scally was serious about them as investors you think he would chase them up and informed that we have Steve "Lazarus" Lovell in charge now.

I am sure his comment was bit tongue in cheek - although, again, at least I hope it was.

Some people have made great successes of new stadiums e.g. Brighton and Swansea. Others haven't e.g. Darlington.

Who knows what we would do, but I suspect I will never find out.

I do agree that we need to ensure that we own the ground though, losing control of that and paying rent gets you into all sorts of trouble e.g. Coventry and Walsall.

It would be nice to see Medway Council help out but to be honest unless we can spin some Charles Dickens connection they aren't that interested. The least they could do they is not try and block it.

A decent arena with a successful sports team has to be good for the local area whether people are supporters or not.

Like post
Like this post
Pages (2): 1
Jump to forum:
Gillingham Fixtures  >>