Gillingham Forum - Relegation and Promotion starting to take shape .
Vital Football

Latest Gillingham FC News

Gillingham Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
No poll
Suggested By:
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
3.chris who97
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2): 1
Relegation and Promotion starting to take shape .
22 February 2018 09:03 Post ID: #78682 - in reply to #78370
Why don't you get that, Wayne?

Shirley the first points target in any season is that of safety? Once that has been achieved new targets can be set. Clearly, the earlier on a season that the safety total is reached the more chance there is of reaching new points targets, i.e., enough for a play off place; then enough for automatic promotion; finally (very occasionally for the Gills) enough to be champions.

Given our extremely poor start to the season we still haven't achieved the first target, though we are getting close to it. After ten games most of us doubted we'd reach it without drastic change and a quite a bit of good luck. Twenty odd games later we've had a lot of the former and a bit of the latter, consequently the first target is now very much within sight and reach. Nevertheless, we're not quite there yet and, I think understandably, many of us are not prepared to move onto the next target until the first has been achieved.

This mentality worked well for Leicester City, don't forget.

None of this is to say I'm not dreaming of us sneaking into 6th place this season. More realistically though, I'm looking at achieving safety really soon and then getting the current squad and two or three additions into shape to achieve 50 points much more quickly next season, so that we are much sooner in a position to move onto the next target, i.e. a play off place.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
22 February 2018 09:17 Post ID: #78684 - in reply to #78370
Statue outside the ground
PDPS's principle target given to SL was L1 survival. It may not be everyones target but it is Steve Lovells as the job he loves probably depends on it. He is almost there. Once we pass 50/51 points we can then target a top 10, play off spot or (for the real dreamers) automatic promotion and see how it goes.
Next season, I guarantee, the expectation will be play offs or better.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pages (2): 1
Jump to forum:
Gillingham Fixtures  >>